LBS MBA Essays : Sample Essays & Writing Tips
As a student looking to study abroad, you’re on the threshold of an exciting journey, and the London Business School (LBS) offers a unique opportunity to catapult your career onto the global stage.
The MBA essays are a critical part of your application, serving as a window into your aspirations, experiences, and personality. Let’s dive into what makes an exceptional LBS MBA essay, setting you apart in a pool of global talents.
WHO IS LBS LOOKING FOR?
The London Business School isn’t just looking for smart students; they seek individuals ready to challenge norms and lead in an ever-globalizing world. LBS values diversity – not just in nationality but in thoughts and experiences. So, who exactly fits the bill?
Key Characteristics of an Ideal LBS Candidate:
- Global Mindset: Students who appreciate and leverage global diversity.
- Leadership Potential: A track record of leadership or the potential to lead.
- Academic Excellence: Strong academic credentials backed by a solid GMAT or GRE score.
- Professional Experience: An average of 5 years of work experience, showcasing growth and impact.
- Collaborative Spirit: A collaborative approach to learning and problem-solving.
In summary, LBS looks for candidates who are more than their academic scores. They value diversity, leadership, and a global outlook. If you see yourself in this description, you’re on the right path!
BREAKING DOWN THE LBS MBA ESSAY QUESTIONS
When it comes to the LBS MBA application, the essays play a pivotal role. Understanding the questions is your first step to crafting responses that resonate with the admissions committee.
Essay Questions Overview:
- Required Essay: This revolves around your post-MBA goals and how LBS will contribute towards these goals.
- Optional Essay: An opportunity to share additional, significant information with the admissions committee.
REQUIRED ESSAY: POST-MBA GOALS AND LBS’S ROLE
This essay is your chance to showcase clarity in your career aspirations and how an LBS MBA aligns with these goals. The key here is specificity – be clear about your post-MBA goals and how LBS, with its unique offerings, will be instrumental in achieving them.
OPTIONAL ESSAY: BEYOND THE RESUME
The optional essay is a space to address any gaps in your application or to highlight unique aspects of your profile. This isn’t just about fixing weaknesses; it’s an opportunity to share stories or experiences that give depth to your application.
- Use bullet points to list down key elements of each essay question.
- Highlight the word limit and specific requirements for each essay.
WRITING THE REQUIRED ESSAY: TIPS AND STRATEGIES
Crafting the required essay involves a delicate balance of discussing your goals, past experiences, and the significance of LBS in your journey. Let’s break it down:
- Contextualize Your Goals: Start by defining your post-MBA goals. Be specific about the industry, role, and how these goals align with your long-term vision.
- Link Past Experiences: Connect your past work and academic experiences to your goals. How have these experiences shaped your aspirations?
- Role of LBS: This is crucial. Detail how LBS’s curriculum, culture, and network will be instrumental in achieving your goals. Mention specific courses, clubs, and other unique aspects of LBS.
Key Takeaways :
- Start with a clear statement of your post-MBA goals.
- Use bullet points to list past experiences relevant to your goals.
- Include a section specifically on how LBS will help you achieve these goals, with bullet points for clarity.
TACKLING THE OPTIONAL ESSAY
The optional essay in the LBS MBA application can be a bit of a wild card. It’s your chance to address parts of your application that might raise questions or to add another dimension to your profile. Here’s how to approach it:
- Addressing Gaps or Weaknesses: Use this essay to explain any anomalies in your academic or professional background, such as gaps in employment or low grades. The key is to be honest and succinct, providing context without making excuses.
- Adding Depth to Your Profile: If you don’t have gaps to address, use this opportunity to highlight aspects of your personality or experiences that aren’t covered elsewhere in your application. This could be personal achievements, unique experiences, or aspects of your background that contribute to your diversity of thought.
- List down scenarios when you should use the optional essay.
- Use bullet points to highlight key strategies for each scenario.
MAKING YOUR STORY SHINE
In crafting your essays for the LBS MBA, it’s not just about what you say, but how you say it. Your essays should tell a compelling story that resonates with the admissions committee.
- Personalize Your Narrative: Share personal stories that reflect your character, values, and journey. This makes your application memorable and relatable.
- Be Authentic and Reflective: Authenticity is key. Reflect on your experiences, learnings, and how they have shaped your perspective and aspirations.
- Show, Don’t Just Tell: Use specific examples and achievements to illustrate your points. This gives credibility to your claims and brings your story to life.
LBS APPLICATION DEADLINES AND PROCESS
Navigating the application deadlines and process for the LBS MBA program is crucial for a timely and successful submission. Here’s what you need to know:
- Make sure to check the latest application deadlines on the LBS website.
- Plan to submit your application well in advance of the deadline to avoid last-minute stress.
- Online Application: Start by filling out the online application form, which includes personal information, academic history, and professional experience.
- Essays: Allocate ample time to write and revise your essays. Remember, they are a central part of your application.
- Recommendations: Choose your recommenders wisely – they should be able to provide insightful comments on your abilities and potential.
- Interview: If selected, you will be invited for an interview, which is a key component of the evaluation process.
- Use a bulleted list for the steps in the application process.
- Highlight important dates and deadlines in a separate box for easy reference.
As you embark on the journey of crafting your LBS MBA essays, remember that this is your opportunity to shine. Be authentic, be reflective, and most importantly, be yourself. The essays are a way to communicate not just your professional aspirations but also your personal journey and the unique qualities you will bring to the LBS community.
Embrace the process, and remember that each part of the application is a chance to showcase a different facet of who you are.