NYU STERN MBA Essays : Sample Essays & Writing Tips
Are you dreaming of joining the prestigious NYU Stern for your MBA? Well, you’re in for an exciting journey, and I’m here to guide you through a crucial part of your application – the essays. Let’s dive right in, shall we?
ESSAY 1: PROFESSIONAL ASPIRATIONS
Embarking on an MBA is a significant step in your career, and NYU Stern wants to hear all about your plans. So, what are your short-term career goals? This question may seem straightforward, but it’s your golden ticket to show the admissions committee why NYU Stern is the ideal launchpad for your dreams.
KEY ELEMENTS TO INCLUDE:
- Specificity is Key: Be clear about your desired role and the industry you aim to enter post-MBA. Numbers and facts play a big role here. For instance, if you’re eyeing a role in management consulting, mention the kind of projects or sectors you want to delve into.
- Link to Stern: Why NYU? Maybe it’s their top-ranked Finance program or their impressive network in the tech industry. Whatever it is, make it clear how Stern aligns with your goals.
- Short and Sweet: With a 150-word limit, precision is your friend. Every word should drive home why you’re a perfect fit for Stern and why Stern is perfect for you.
Did you know that NYU Stern’s MBA program has a robust offering in areas like Fintech and Luxury & Retail? Tailoring your goals to these unique strengths can showcase your fit and research.
ESSAY 2: PERSONAL EXPRESSION (PICK SIX)
This one’s my personal favorite – the “Pick Six” essay. Think of it as a blank canvas to paint a vivid picture of who you are beyond your resume. You get to choose six images that represent your passions, life experiences, and dreams. But remember, it’s not just about the pictures; the captions are where you bring your story to life.
CRAFTING YOUR PICK SIX:
- Diverse Imagery: Mix it up! Your images could range from a snapshot of a volunteering experience to a prized personal achievement. This is your chance to showcase the breadth of your personality.
- Meaningful Captions: Each caption is a chance to give context to the image. What’s the story behind that picture of you crossing the marathon finish line? Use these snippets to give depth to your narrative.
- Reflect Your Values: Are you passionate about sustainability or women’s leadership? Let your images reflect these values. Remember, authenticity is key.
WHAT MAKES A GREAT PICK SIX?
Let’s look at an example. Imagine you choose a photo of a bustling street market in Bangkok. A simple caption like, “Exploring global markets, understanding diverse consumer behaviors – a step towards my dream of a career in international marketing,” ties your personal experience to your professional aspirations.
ESSAY 3: BEHAVIORAL ESSAY – EMBRACING CHANGE
“Change: _____ it.” This intriguing prompt from NYU Stern’s MBA application is not just about your take on change; it’s a window into how you adapt, innovate, and lead in a dynamic world. Let’s decode it together!
UNPACKING THE PROMPT:
- Personalizing ‘Change’: This is where you fill in the blank with a word that embodies your approach to change. Are you someone who ‘drives’ change or ’embraces’ it? Your choice of word is a powerful indicator of your mindset.
- Illustrating with Examples: Use real-life instances to show how you’ve lived this mantra. Did you lead a project that required swift adaptation? Or perhaps you initiated a change that had a significant impact?
- Word Limit Wisdom: With a 350-word limit, your narrative needs to be crisp and engaging. Focus on one or two compelling examples rather than trying to cover too much ground.
WHY THIS MATTERS:
NYU Stern values candidates who can thrive in an ever-changing global landscape. This essay is your chance to prove that you’re not just prepared for change – you’re ready to be a catalyst for it.
OPTIONAL ESSAY: PROVIDING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
This section of the application might seem optional, but it’s a hidden gem for those who use it wisely. Here’s where you can address any part of your profile that needs more context – maybe a gap in your resume, a unique life circumstance, or additional insight into your academic record.
WHEN TO USE THE OPTIONAL ESSAY:
- Clarifying Gaps: If there’s a gap in your employment or education, explain it. But remember, this isn’t about making excuses; it’s about providing clarity.
- Academic Anomalies: Had a rough semester? Use this space to give context but also to show how you’ve grown from the experience.
- Extra Achievements: Got something impressive that didn’t fit into other essays? This is your place to shine.
CRAFTING YOUR RESPONSE:
- Be Direct: Get to the point quickly. The admissions committee appreciates brevity and directness.
- Stay Positive: Focus on the lessons learned or skills gained, even from challenging experiences.
- Word Limit: With a maximum of 250 words, every sentence must add value to your overall narrative.
WRITING TIPS AND BEST PRACTICES
Crafting an essay for an MBA application, especially for a prestigious institution like NYU Stern, isn’t just about answering questions. It’s about telling a story – your unique story. Here are some essential tips to make your essays stand out:
STRUCTURE AND CLARITY:
- Opening Strong: Your first sentence sets the tone. Make it engaging and indicative of what’s to come.
- Clear Structure: Organize your thoughts. Use headings or bullet points if necessary to enhance readability.
- Conciseness is Key: Be succinct. Respect word limits and don’t wander off-topic.
- Authentic Voice: Write like you speak (within the bounds of formal language). Let your personality shine through.
- Unique Insights: What makes you, you? Maybe it’s your multicultural background or an unconventional career path.
BACKING WITH DATA:
- Quantify Achievements: Use numbers to give weight to your accomplishments. Increased sales by 30%? Say it!
- Facts from Trusted Sources: Cite NYU Stern’s official website or reputable publications for any external data.
COMMON PITFALLS TO AVOID:
- Repetition: Don’t rehash your resume. The essay is an opportunity to show more than what’s on paper.
- Overcomplicating: Simplicity is powerful. Avoid jargon or overly complex language.
- Negativity: Even when discussing challenges, focus on growth and learning, not on blame or regret.
FINAL THOUGHTS AND CONCLUSION
As we wrap up, remember that your essays are a mosaic of your aspirations, experiences, and personality. They are a conversation with the admissions committee. Be honest, be yourself, and let your passion for Stern and your future career shine through.
LEAVING A LASTING IMPRESSION:
- Reflective Tone: Conclude with a reflective note on what attending NYU Stern means to you and your future.
- Future Orientation: Talk about how you envision contributing to the Stern community and beyond.
ENCOURAGEMENT AND MOTIVATION:
- You’ve Got This! Writing essays can be daunting, but view it as an opportunity to introspect and articulate your journey and dreams.
- Seek Feedback: Don’t hesitate to ask for feedback from mentors or peers. Fresh perspectives can be invaluable.